If you would like to arrange a visit, please contact us on 023 9282 4538

FAQ's (Click on question to reveal answer)

Q. What is included in the price?

A. We provide all wipes, Sudocrem nappy cream, cow's milk and a morning and afternoon healthy snack for the children in the Ladybird, Bumblebee and Butterfly groups. We ask you to provide all meals for your child and snacks for your baby if they are in the Grasshopper room.

We ask you to provide nappies and formula milk, if applicable. We do have a supply of spare clothes; however, it is helpful if you can provide a change of clothes in case your child does require changing during the day. We also ask that you provide appropriate clothing for the seasons, for example wet weather clothes as we do like the children to spend time outside each day when possible and also a hat and sun cream in the summer months.

Q. Do you charge for bank holidays?

A. We only charge for the days the nursery school is open. We are open Monday to Friday, 52 weeks of the year excluding bank holidays which we do not charge for. Also, should we ever need to close the nursery in exceptional circumstances then we also would not charge. If your child is ill, however, or you are on holiday then you will still be charged for those days.

Q. How do I pay my fees?

A. Fees are payable in advance either on a weekly or monthly basis. See our fee information for more details on our fee structure. We invoice monthly at the start of the month and your fees will vary slightly each month depending on whether it is a 4 or 5 week month and if there have been any bank holidays to deduct. We prefer payments to be made by BACS transfer and we can provide you with our bank details in order to facilitate this; however, we do also accept cheque and cash payments. You will be given a receipt for any cash payments you make. All payments are recorded on your child's individual fee payment record form.

Q. Do you charge a registration fee?

A. We do charge a £50 registration fee to secure your child's place at the nursery. This fee is refundable when your child leaves the nursery on the condition that you have provided us with one month's written notice.

Q. What hours can my child do at nursery?

A. We recommend for your child to attend nursery at least twice a week so as to provide continuity and to assist with the settling process. Our core sessions are 9 am to 12 midday or 1 pm to 4 pm each day, and we ask that as a minimum your child attends during these core hours to assist us with the planning of activities and any outings we may wish to take the children on. Outside of these hours you are free to choose whichever times suit your particular needs. We do offer a discount for children who attend either a short day of 9 am to 4 pm or a long day of 8 am to 6 pm.

Q. Can I change sessions?

A. You are able to increase or decrease your child's sessions at any point during the year. Where you are decreasing your sessions, we do require one month's written notice. If you wish to increase sessions, then this is dependent on availability, but we would always look to accommodate your request as soon as possible. Unfortunately we are unable to swap sessions or days but are happy to accommodate your child for extra days at a charge.

Q. What happens if I am late collecting my child or have been unable to get to the nursery before the nursery closes?

A. In the event that you do not collect your child from the nursery at the agreed time, and no contact has been made with the nursery to inform them of the alternative arrangements for collection, every attempt will be made to contact you. If we are unsuccessful we will contact your nominated emergency contact and request that they collect your child. The nursery will remain open to allow time for the emergency contact person to arrive. Late collection is charged at the rate of £10 per every 15 minutes. Please note, we are only insured to care for children between the hours of 8 am to 6 pm and so it is important that you turn up between these hours and when you are collecting your child it is also advisable to allow for a handover with a staff member so you can be given a full account of your child's activities during the day.

Q. Do you provide out of school services?

A. Yes. We are registered to take children up to the age of 8 years and so we can provide childcare either after school until 6 pm or during the school holidays. Please contact the manager or a member of staff for more information.

Q. Will my child be able to sleep during the day?

A. Most children, particularly under the age of 3 years, will require a sleep during the day. The nursery has ample sleeping facilities, for example a dedicated sleep room with cots, and sleep mats for the older children. All children are offered a rest period during the day, usually after lunch if they attend for the whole day. Young babies will follow their own home routine for sleep times as discussed with you. We will at all times try and encourage your child's natural routine; however as they get older children tend to fit into routines according to the group.

Q. Do the children go on outings?

A. We do like to take children on outings to further develop their understanding of the environment in which they live. Such outings tend to be to the various parks and facilities we have in the local area, for example, the beach, Canoe Lake etc. and we also frequently make use of the local Surestart's sensory facilities. We have carried out a risk assessment for each of the places we visit and, on arrival, the staff carry out a visual inspection of the facilities to ensure they are safe for the children to use and there are no dangers or hazards.

On each outing, the staff complete an outings form, detailing where they are taking the children, the route they will take to get there, the number and names of the staff and the number and names of the children. When the staff take children off the premises the staff to child ratio increases and we adhere to this on every occasion. The staff also ensure the children wear high visibility jackets if they are walking and for the younger children we have a number of double buggies which we use.

The staff take a bag with them, including nappies, change of clothes, snacks, drinks, medication (if applicable) and anything else they feel the children may need whilst they are away from the nursery. We also have a standard nursery mobile phone (without a camera) which they have with them at all times so they are able to contact the nursery and we can contact them if we need to get a message to them.

Q. What happens if my child has an accident at nursery?

A. As children develop physically, particularly in their early walking stages, accidents can occasionally happen. In this event the nursery has several staff trained in Paediatric First Aid on site at all times. If your child has had an accident at nursery you will be informed upon collection of your child and asked to sign an accident form.

In the event of a bump to the head you will be informed by telephone. Your child will be monitored and in most cases will be able to continue with their day at nursery. In the event of a bump to the head causing concern you will be asked to collect your child and a visit to your GP will be recommended. You will be given a copy of the accident form and a head injury advice form.

Should your child have an accident whilst at nursery which requires further medical support you will be contacted immediately and the necessary action will be taken. In extreme cases this could involve calling for the support of a paramedic. If your child has had an accident at home which has resulted in a physical injury, no matter how small, we request that you inform the staff who will document it in our incident book so that we can monitor your child and it is not mistaken for an accident at the nursery.

Q. If my child is unwell are they allowed to attend? Can you give medication?

A. We have an illness and infection policy with periods of exclusion for some contagious infections. This is reviewed in accordance with annual health protection agency guidelines. A cough and cold and regular childhood illnesses can be managed. Prescribed medication requires prior written consent in our medicine book before we can administer. Un-prescribed medication such as Calpol can be given if your child has a temperature of at least 38 degrees celsius. We ask that you provide us with a pharmacy prescribed bottle of Calpol along with your written consent and we will telephone you on the day prior to administering Calpol. If the child's temperature does not improve we may ask you to collect your child.

Q. How do you keep my child safe?

A. We are extremely conscious of child safety at the nursery. When your child first begins nursery, we ask for details of those people nominated to collect your child and we like to meet with each of those nominated persons. If, on occasion, you or the nominated person(s) are unable to collect your child, then you can contact the nursery to arrange for someone else to pick up, but we ask that you share with us and them a unique password which we will ask them to provide us with on arrival.

We have a main gate which is locked when the children are out playing in the front garden. At all other times, the gate is closed but unlocked and all visitors enter through the main front door. The door is only answered by a full-time member of staff and any visitors are asked to sign in at the visitor book and are accompanied to the office.

All visitors and parents are asked not to answer the door or let anyone on to the premises as they leave the building. They are also asked not to use their mobile phones whilst they are on the premises. Children are accompanied by members of staff when they go to the toilets or use other rooms within the nursery and when in the garden. The kitchen area is closed off when food is being heated and the ovens are in use. Children are never left unaccompanied at any time. Nappies are changed in the main open plan classroom and each nappy change is noted and signed by the member of staff. All staff working with children undergo a full CRB check.

Q. What is a DBS check?

A. DBS refers to the new agency created out of a merger between the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and The Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA), its full title is The Disclosure and Barring Service. A DBS check is carried out on behalf of an organisation, with the worker's permission, and is usually carried out as a part of an organisation's recruitment procedure. Jobs that involve caring for, supervising or being in sole charge of children or adults require an enhanced DBS check. This includes checking whether someone is included in the 2 DBS ‘barred lists’ (previously called ISA barred lists) of individuals who are unsuitable for working with children. In addition to conducting DBS checks on all of our employees, we also follow a rigorous recruitment and selection process to ensure that our staff have the right level of qualifications and experience to fulfil the role.

Q. What is an NVQ qualification?

A. NVQ stands for National Vocational Qualification and is a nationally recognised qualification achieved through assessment of working practices. NVQ candidates need to show how they care for children through real work activities and show sufficient knowledge and understanding of workplace policies and procedures. All our full time members of staff are either qualified at NVQ Level 2 or Level 3 or are working towards those qualifications. Each Room Leader is qualified to NVQ Level 3.

Q. Who are Ofsted and what do they do?

A. The Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) is the governing body who set the standards for care and education for all children's day care settings including schools and nurseries. Our most recent Ofsted report awarded us a GOOD grading. It is available for you to read here.

Q. Can we purchase a uniform for my child to wear?

A. Yes, we have both polo t-shirts and sweatshirts available for age ranges 1-2 years, 3-4 years and 5-6 years They are available at cost price at £9.50 for the polo t-shirts and £10.50 for the sweatshirts. Please contact a member of staff for more information and on how to complete an order form.

Q. What labels should I use for my child’s clothing and belongings?

A. A number of companies provide a variety of labels. We would recommend https://www.mynametags.com You can log on to this website and place an order and when prompted to do so use School ID 7269.

Q. How does the nursery communicate with parents?

A. We are keen to have open communication with all of our parents. We communicate in a number of ways. When your baby attends the Grasshopper group, we provide you with a 'Home Link' book which is completed on a daily basis and includes information on your child's general welfare, milk, food and nappy changes. Once your child moves up to the Ladybird room, your will receive a verbal handover when you arrive to collect your child.

You are able to discuss any aspect of your child's care with either a staff member, key worker, room leader or the manager, at any time. You are also provided with an opportunity to meet with your child's key worker formally on a termly basis when you will review your child's Learning Journey and all aspects of their learning and development. You are welcome to take the Learning Journey home with you at any point should you wish to share it with other family members.

We produce a weekly newsletter for all parents outlining the activities each group will be participating in during the coming week. This is so that you are able to engage with your child at home on some of the topics we cover at nursery.

We also produce quarterly newsletters throughout the year, updating you on key pieces of information, staff changes and upcoming events. We also have a Twitter account and Facebook page.

Q. Who should I speak to if I have any concerns?

A. We hope that you will feel able to approach any member of staff should you have any concerns and we encourage open discussion. Your first point of contact would be either your child's key worker or Room Leader; however, if you felt unable to speak to them you should contact the manager. In the unlikely event that your concerns cannot be rectified internally then you are advised to contact Ofsted.